We are 2.5kms from the picturesque village of Oughterard, known as the “Gateway to Connemara”. The village is only 24kms from the famous “City of the Tribes”, Galway, making it a fantastic base for touring this most magical of places on the very western shore of Europe, as far west as Clifden and on to Westport, on the one hand or into Co Clare and the Burren and spectacular Cliffs of Moher on the other, and everything in between. No matter what the weather brings, rolling mists off the wild Atlantic, or bright clear blue skies stretching almost to New York! You will gasp at the beauty of the landscape and sky line.
Locally we have a 15th Century castle, Aughnanure, the ancient stronghold of the “ Ferocious O’flaherty’s” – no relation! of whom many tales are told. At one time the people of Galway were so terrified of them that they had inscribed over the West Gate of the City “From the Ferocious O’Flahertys good Lord deliver us”, the historic Island of Inchagoill which holds two national monuments, one dating from the 5th century and one from the 12th century both churches, and Brigit’s Garden, where you can enjoy a relaxing Sunday mornings meditation, or live traditional/classical music, in the gardens on a Sunday afternoon. In the village you will find all you need in terms of restaurants, shops and pubs.
- Angling/Boating : We have an angling/boating centre on site (Lough Corrib) and offer boats for hire, rods, maps and information. Guides can also be arranged. Trout/Salmon , coarse and Sea angling are all to be found in the locality.
- Golf: Ireland is one of the worlds top golfing destinations and boasts some incredible championship courses. On our doorstep we have Oughterard Golf Club, (18 hole) and within 30mins to 1 hours drive we have Bearna, Galway Bay Golf Club, Connemara and Lahinch to mention a few. https://oughterardgolfclub.com/
- Walking/Hiking: Connemara is a walkers paradise, with walks suitable for all, from the serious walkers to those of us who enjoy a leisurely afternoon or evening hike. Leave the car behind and become immeresed in the breathtaking beauty of the landscape, and maybe learn a little of the natural and cultural history of this magical place. Maps of walking trails and paths available.
- Brigit’s Garden:” A visit to Brigit's Garden takes you on a journey through the sacred spiral of the seasons into the heart of Celtic mythology, folklore and heritage. Here, ancient wisdom is woven with contemporary design to create a place of beauty and inspiration.” www.brigitsgarden.ie/
- Horseback riding: Available locally and about 1 hours drive into Connemara, beach riding and trekking can be arranged.
- The Islands: A short boat trip will take you to the very edge of Europe and the Aran Islands, Inish Boffin or Clare Island.
- Surfing/windsurfing: Ireland, the best place in Europe if you are looking for some serious big wave surfing, but expect some cold rainy weather, the attitude of the local people and the social life in the pubs makes up a lot.
back to top